In the mood for something warm, slow cooked, but still nutrient dense? Then, I think you'll really like this.
It's a DENSE meal, so think small with portions. Consider tossing on top of a bed of arugula, broccoli, or sautéed bell peppers.
- 4 cups butternut squash (I like to use the organic frozen that is already cut up, and ready to go!)
- 1 cup corn (also like to use organic)
- 1, 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and preferably soaked
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1, 15oz can diced and fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2.5 packets of red enchilada sauce (I like Frotera brand)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- cumin, to taste
- handful of cilantro, lime juice, organic cheese, dallop of coconut cream, etc are all optional toppings.
1.) Peel and cut squash into cubes if it's not the frozen kind, and throw into crock pot (still frozen is fine).
2.) Add the corn, black beans, rinsed quinoa, garlic, diced tomatoes (undrained), enchilada sauce, broth and cumin into a crockpot.
3.) Stir and cover crock pot and cook for about 3 hours, or until squash is tender.
4.) Correct seasoning until you get the right taste :)